oriel n : a projecting bay window corbeled or cantilevered out from a wall [syn: oriel window]
EtymologyThe origin of the word oriel is derived from the word aureus which means "golden"; relating to the Golden Rectangle in which the Fibonacci spiral always makes a perfect oriel pattern.
- A large polygonal recess in a building, such as a bay window.
Oriel may also refer to:
- Oriel Park, Dundalk, Ireland, the home ground of Dundalk FC.
- Oriel College, Oxford
- Oriel Securities, London, UK
- Oriel Chambers
- The Kingdom of Oriel, an ancient kingdom in Ireland
- A professor at Catholic University of Temuco, Chile
- A winery in Rutherford, Napa Valley, California
- Oriel High School, Crawley, United Kingdom
alcove, bay, bay window, bow window, carrel, casement, casement window, corner, cove, cranny, cubby, cubbyhole, cubicle, fan window, fanlight, grille, lancet window, lantern, lattice, light, louver window, niche, nook, pane, picture window, port, porthole, recess, roomlet, rose window, skylight, snuggery, transom, wicket, window, window bay, window glass, windowpane